art, art journal, Sherrinda

Documented Life Project 2015: Making the Cover

So I thought I would document the making of my cover for the Documented Life Project 2015. I always get asked how I do layers so here you go. This is how I do it.

First I used a matt gel medium to glue pieces of torn pages onto my journal cover. The pieces are from song books, dictionary pages, and the inside of safety envelopes (mostly from bills).

After it dried, I spread watered down acrylics around on the page. I pooled the pink around the edges, then let it drip and run over the cover. 

Now the fun part. I started stamping. I used black ink to stamp the feathers and the arrows. Then I used red acrylic paint to stamp the paisleys. Then I used a 2-1/4″ circle punch to punch out circles from some of my “under paper” (under paper is the paper I put under the project I’m working on. It is where I clean off my brushes, stamps, brayers, etc.) After I glued the circles down, I went around them in red paint. I also used 2 circles as flowers and painted the outline in black and colors the petals with the red paint. Then I used the end of a toilet paper roll to dip in white paint and put marks on the page. I added black dots inside the white circles. (I did add some green distress paint before I stamped…I forgot about that.) I also used a black Signo uniball pen to write some words and scripture on the cover.

Next I took a black Neocolour II crayon and drew around the edges and around the flowers and circles. I took a water brush (or a wet paintbrush) and smudged the black around. I used my finger to smudge it more. It wasn’t as dark as I wanted so I used my Pentel india ink brush pen to loosely spread ink around, then quickly wiped it around with an old rag to smudge the ink. That worked exactly like I wanted. 
Then I added my word for the year. I cut some squares out of card stock, then painted them with black gesso. After it was dried, I used a white Signo Uniball pen to write my letters. Then I adhered the letters with the matt gel medium. After it dried, I put a thin layer of gel medium over the whole thing to seal it. I may use a better sealer later…not sure. 

To finish it off, I gathered several pieces of thread and ribbon and tied a bow on the elastic. I think it added a nice touch. 

Have a great day!

3 thoughts on “Documented Life Project 2015: Making the Cover”

  1. I'm good, though cold! -20 degrees here this morning with the windchill! Brr… Yes, writing away. My second novella edits are due this week, then it's off on the next novel-writing adventure. 🙂 Many blessings on your anniversary!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s